These are great as snack on their own, or would be great chopped and scattered on top of desserts, or non-dairy ice cream. I made a huge batch, but it’s easy to halve or quarter this recipe to better suit your needs.
- 500g/1lb mixed nuts, I used brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans and almonds
- 250g/8oz demerara sugar
- 200ml/6.7fl.oz water
- Two tablespoons of non-dairy margarine, I used Vitalite
- Two teaspoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- In a pan over a medium heat melt the margarine. Once it’s melted add the sugar, salt, cinnamon and water.
- Once the mixture is bubbling add the nuts and stir continuously.
- Keep stirring until the water has evaporated, the nuts will be toasted and coated in the now dry sugar mixture.
- Spread the nuts out onto a lined baking tray and give them an hour to fully cool before storing in an air tight container.
You could use different nuts than stated above, or add more salt, cinnamon or add in vanilla if you like. It’s pretty easy to switch things around and play with the flavours.
Bye for now 🙂