It’s pretty easy to veganise this rice dish by using crumbled tofu, turmeric and black salt (kala namak). The turmeric will help to achieve the right colour, and the black salt will add an egg flavour.
Yield; Two servings Cook time 10 minutes
- 160g/5.5oz(that’s the uncooked weight) cooked white rice
- Half a green pepper, diced
- Half a small brown onion, diced
- One teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- One teaspoon of Chinese five spice
- Half a teaspoon of ginger
- 100g/3.5oz frozen peas
- 100g/3.5oz tofu
- A pinch of turmeric (just enough to turn the tofu the right colour)
- Half a teaspoon of soy sauce
- Start by crumbling the tofu into a dish, add the turmeric and mix well. (you’ll likely only need a pinch to get the right colour)
- Next, heat the sesame oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the pepper and onion and allow them to cook for five minutes. Keep stirring so nothing sticks.
- Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, spices and peas to the pepper and onion. Mix well to combine.
- After another five minutes fold the tofu you prepared earlier through the rice mixture. Cook for a couple of minutes before seasoning with the black salt. Serve immediately.
- The rice won’t clump together while frying if you cook the it the day before.
- You can buy kala namak/black salt from health food shops or online from amazon.
Bye for now 🙂