I love simple, one-pot cooking. Sometimes you don’t fancy spending hours in the kitchen, this is perfect for those times.
Yield; Six servings Cook time; 40 minutes
- 200g red lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- One tablespoon of oil
- One brown onion, sliced
- One 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 125g spinach, wilted and chopped
- 750ml hot water
- Spice mix; Two tablespoons of curry powder (whichever strength you prefer) Two teaspoons of cumin, two teaspoons of ground coriander, two teaspoons of smoked paprika, one teaspoon of both turmeric and ginger
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes until it starts to soften.
- Next add the spice mix, lentils and hot water and give it a good stir. Cover with a lid and increase the heat to medium high so the mixture comes to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, wilt and chop the spinach. I did this by putting the spinach in a sieve and pouring over a litre of boiled water, allowing the water to drain into the sink. Leave to cool before chopping.
- After the lentils have been simmering for 30 minutes, add the chickpeas and spinach and give everything a good stir. Allow the chickpeas and spinach to heat up for about five minutes before serving.
I served mine with boiled rice, but this would be lovely served with pitta bread to scoop up the dhal with.
Bye for now 🙂