As it’s the time of year when people go back to school, I thought I’d share these three simple recipes to liven up lunch time. Perfect for taking to school, work or picnics.
Starting off with a vegan cheese ploughmans;
Simply add slices of red onion, tomato, vegan cheese, lettuce, sandwich pickle and dairy free margarine between two pieces of bread. For the cheese I used Violife, and I used Vitalite for the dairy free margarine. A super simple vegan lunch option.
Next, a houmous and veggie panini
For this I used my classic no added oil houmous/hummus recipe;
- One 400g/14oz tin/pack of chickpeas/garbanzo beans in water, drained
- One clove of garlic
- The juice of one lemon
- One tablespoon of tahini
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- A couple of tablespoons of water
- Add everything to a food processor/blender (or jug if using an immersion blender) and blend.
- You may need to adjust the water to achieve the right consistency. Use a little at first, add more as needed.
Slice the panini in two, spread houmous on each side before adding sliced red pepper, spring onion and lettuce. Add more houmous on top of the veggies if desired.
Lastly, a smokey barbecue “chicken” wrap
Yield; Three servings Cook time; Ten minutes
- 190g/7oz of mock chicken, I used Fry’s chicken style strips
- Half a red pepper, sliced
- Half a small red onion, sliced
- Three teaspoons of egg free mayonnaise (Check out how to make vegan mayo here)
- Three small handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- Three large tortillas
For the barbecue sauce you’ll need;
- Three tablespoons of barbecue sauce
- One tablespoon of American mustard
- One teaspoon of maple syrup
- One teaspoon of soy sauce
- One teaspoon of dried oregano
- Half a teaspoon of liquid smoke
- Firstly, into a small bowl whisk together the barbecue sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and the sauce. Allow to cook for ten minutes before removing from the heat and setting aside to cool.
- Once the chicken pieces are cool prepare the wraps. Spread a teaspoon of mayonnaise onto each wrap. Add the spinach, top with onion and pepper before adding the chicken pieces.
- Leave a couple of inches gap at the bottom of the tortilla, fold this up and then fold each side in on itself.
- Most breads are accidentally suitable for vegans. Brioche however is not, due to it containing butter.
- You can find Violife cheese in most large supermarket branches, or Holland and Barrett.
- The houmous will keep for five or so days, in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can buy Fry’s chicken style strips from Holland and Barrett, larger branches of Morrisons or order online from Ocado. Quorn also have vegan chicken style pieces, you can buy them from most large supermarkets. Quorn’s vegan products will be clearly labeled with a green banner in the top righthand corner of each product.