I recently went to buy pâté, but upon further inspection it was full of oil and only 10% of it was actually shiitake mushroom, so I opted to make my own instead. When I went to the supermarket there were many half price packs of shiitake mushrooms, surely a sign from the mushroom/pâté Gods. So this is my shiitake mushroom pâté recipe.
Cook time; 10-15 minutes
- One tablespoon of non-dairy margarine or oil
- 300g/10.5oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 10g/0.3oz non-dairy parmesan, grated
- One teaspoon of both dried parsley and dried tarragon
- 50ml non-dairy single cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the non-dairy margarine or oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted add the mushrooms and cook for about five minutes.
- Next add the herbs and cheese, stir though the mushrooms and cook for a further five or until the liquid released from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add the mushroom mixture to a food processor or blender, add the cream and blend until smooth.
Store the pâté in an airtight container in the fridge, it’ll keep for around five to seven days.