Many brands of instant gravy are accidentally suitable for vegans, but this is for when you want to go to a little more effort. Perfect with a Sunday roast, bangers and mash or shepherdless pie. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, I’d perhaps skip this. But I’m obsessed with them, so this is like crack for me.
Yield; Around 500ml of gravy Cook time; Fifteen minutes
- One tablespoon of non-dairy margarine
- One brown onion, chopped
- 200g/7oz chestnut mushrooms (a.k.a cremini mushrooms), chopped
- Two tablespoons of plain all purpose flour
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- One tablespoon of both dried tarragon and dried parsley
- One tablespoon of fish-free Worcestershire sauce
- Two teaspoons of onion granules
- One heaped tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in one tablespoon of cold water
- One teaspoon of gravy browning
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small sauce pan over a medium heat, melt the margarine. Once melted, add the onion, cover and cook for five minutes.
- Next add the mushrooms and flour, don’t worry if it looks like a lot, they’ll release a lot of liquid and shrink down considerably. Cover and cook for a further five minutes.
- Then add everything else, the stock, herbs, everything else listed except the gravy browning and give it a good stir to combine. Season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper. Increase to a simmer and after a few moments you should see the mixture start to thicken.
- After five minutes, add the gravy browning and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.