A seitan mince and caramelised onion filling, in golden brown puff pastry, topped with toasted sesame seeds. Perfect party food, or great as a simple canape. These are omnivore approved! I know this as my partner is an omnivore and got through a fair few before I confiscated them.
Yield; 18 (102kcal per roll) Cook time; 15 minutes
- One tablespoon of non-dairy margarine
- Three small brown onions, thickly sliced
- 325g/11.5oz mince (I used minced seitan, check out my seitan recipe HERE)
- 375g/13oz puff pastry
- A couple of tablespoons of non-dairy unsweetened milk
- One teaspoon of sesame seeds
- In a frying pan over a low heat, melt the non-dairy margarine. Add the onions, a sprinkle of salt and pop a lid on. Leave to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring only occasionally. Once caramelised, set aside to cool.
- Add the mince and the onions into a food processor, the onion adds flavour and also works as a binder. Blitz until it gets to a smooth dough like consistency.
- I used pre-rolled pastry, so I cut the pastry into 18 equal rectangular pieces. Add some filling into the middle of each strip, then fold each end of the pastry over the filling. Use a little non-dairy milk to seal the pastry. Place them seal side down onto a lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate the sausage rolls until you’re ready to bake them. When you’re ready to bake, brush each one with the non-dairy milk and sprinkle over some sesame seeds.
- Bake at 200ºC/180ºC fan assisted/350ºF for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Once cooked, leave to cool for five minutes before transferring to a cooling tray.
Tip; When caramelising onions, how you slice them and how often to poke them is important. Slice them thickly from root to tip, and don’t stir them too much. You wouldn’t like it if someone poked you every three minutes, the onions don’t appreciate it either.
3 thoughts on “Vegan Mini Sausage Rolls”
Just making this for the second time – great recipe, and love your nugget of wisdom on poking onions every 3 mins at the end!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m so glad you like it Joy. Aw thank you 🙂💚