Use this versatile pesto as a pasta sauce, pizza sauce, sandwich spread or a dip for veggies. I thinned it down with a little water that I boiled the pasta in, it made for a lovely pasta sauce.
Yield; One small pot of pesto(647kcal) Cook time; Five minutes
- 150g/5oz spinach
- Juice of half a lemon
- 30g/1oz non-dairy parmesan, grated (I used Violife’s prosociano)
- Two tablespoons oil
- One tablespoon dried basil
- 50g/2oz walnuts,chopped
- One clove of garlic, chopped
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- Firstly wilt the spinach, I just poured some freshly boiled water over it until it wilted down. Leave to cool, once cool squeeze out the excess water and set aside
- Then put everything into a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. You may need to add a little water if it’s not blending properly
That’s it! Nice and simple, without scrimping on flavour. I like to keep homemade pesto in an ice cube tray in the freezer. That way, when you need some you can just defrost a few cubes.