Stir fried pieces of tofu, edamame, shiitake mushrooms and rice, flavoured with garlic, onion, ginger and Chinese five spice. I used frozen edamame beans, which were pre-cooked so I only defrosted them. But if you’re using fresh they have to be cooked beforehand. To ensure the rice doesn’t clump together, boil it the day before then store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Firstly I stir fried the tofu, you can then use the tofu in any recipe that calls for meat or mock meat. This will work in stir fries, curries, pasta dishes all sorts.
For the stir fried tofu you’ll need;
- Two tablespoons of non-dairy margarine
- One quarter of teaspoon of the following; smoked paprika, onion granules, garlic granules
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- 280g/10oz extra firm tofu, broken into bite sized pieces
If you only have access to firm tofu, simply remove it from the packet, drain away the liquid and press. I usually wrap the block in a few sheets of kitchen roll, add a glass dish on top plus a couple of tins, then leave to press for a few hours. Then break the pressed tofu into bite sized pieces
- Heat the margarine in a non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat. While it’s melting, add the seasoning into a small bowl and mix well to combine
- Once the margarine is melted add the tofu. Evenly distribute the seasoning over the tofu, then stir to distribute the seasoning
- Cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside. The time this will take will differ based on the size of your pieces of tofu, but generally I find it takes around 20 minutes.
- Once cooked set aside and leave to cool. Proving you have pre-cooked the edamame and rice, you can continue on to making the fried rice
Onto the rest of the recipe!
Yield; Four servings (as a main) (360kcal per serving) Cook time; 10 minutes
- One tablespoon of oil
- 240g/8.5oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 200g/7oz (dry weight) cooked rice
- 200g/7oz edamame beans
- 280g/10oz stir fried tofu
- Half a teaspoon of each; smoked paprika, onion granules, garlic granules and ginger
- Two teaspoons Chinese five spice
- One tablespoon soy sauce
- Two tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, over a medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for five minutes
- Then add the rice, tofu and edamame. In a small bowl whisk together the paprika, onion, garlic, ginger five spice, soy sauce and water. Pour the mixture evenly over the rice mixture and stir fry for five minutes
- Top with sliced spring onion and serve immediately. Alternatively, serve along with sweet and sour tofu and spring rolls for a vegan fakeaway (fake takeaway)