This is a simple (and I mean simple, there’s only two ingredients!) swap for dairy cream. You can use this in place of cream in savoury dishes like pasta sauce, curries or soups. I’ve included a recipe for a garlic and mushroom sauce, so you’ve got a use for your homemade non-dairy cream. I’ll pop that at the end.
- 350g silken tofu
- 250ml unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used Alpro soya light)
- A blender
- Combine the tofu and milk into a large jug.
- Blend until smooth with a blender.
That’s it! I told you it was simple. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge, it’ll keep for between three to five days.
It has a slightly different mouthfeel to dairy cream, but that’s not something you’d notice if you’re adding it to other things (like soups, sauces etc)
Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Sauce
Yield; One serving Cook time; 10 minutes
- One teaspoon of non-dairy margarine
- One clove of garlic, minced
- 100g/3.5oz mushrooms, sliced
- Half a teaspoon of both parsley and tarragon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 100ml non-dairy cream
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, melt the margarine. Once melted, add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Next, add the mushrooms. Season with the herbs, salt and black pepper to taste, then leave them for five minutes with the lid on.
- Once the liquid has been released from the mushrooms, add the cream. Cover with the lid and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes before serving. I served mine with pasta.