This is a simple (and I mean simple, there’s only two ingredients!) swap for dairy cream. You can use this in place of cream in savoury dishes, or add sweetener to use in sweet recipes. I’ve included a recipe for a garlic and mushroom sauce, so you’ve got a use for your homemade non-dairy cream. I’ll pop that at the end.
- 350g/12oz silken tofu (I used Satonoyuki silken tofu)
- 250ml unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used Alpro soya light)
- A blender
- Combine the tofu and milk into a large jug.
- Blend until smooth with a blender.
That’s it! I told you it was simple. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge, it’ll keep for between three to five days.
It has a slightly different mouthfeel to dairy cream, but that’s not something you’d notice if you’re adding to to other things (like soups, sauces etc). This cream is also low in fat and high in protein, calcium and iron. Can’t beat that with a stick!
Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Sauce
Yield; One serving(142kcal) Cook time; 10 minutes
- One teaspoon of non-dairy margarine
- One clove of garlic, minced
- 100g/3.5oz mushrooms, sliced
- Half a teaspoon of both parsley and tarragon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 100ml non-dairy cream
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, melt the margarine. Once melted, add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Next, add the mushrooms. Season with the herbs, salt and black pepper to taste, then leave them for five minutes with the lid on.
- Once the liquid has been released from the mushrooms, add the cream. Cover with the lid and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes before serving. I served mine with pasta.